Sweet spiced duck with summer Asian salad and coconut jelly
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 10 min
- 2 duck breasts
- 50mloyster sauce
- 10ml soy sauce
- 10mlplum vinegar
- 15gpalm sugar
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 400ml young coconut juice
- 10g gold gelatin sheets, softened in cold water
- 1 green mango
- 1 red chilli
- 1 green chilli
- 1 bunchmint
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 bunch basil mint
- Juice of 1 lime
Method1. For the duck, preheat oven to 130°C. Heat an oven proof frying pan over a high heat until very hot. Place duck breasts in the hot pan, skin side down to render the fat and caramelize the skin. Transfer to the oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove breasts and allow to rest.
2. Combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, plum vinegar, palm sugar and allspice in a saucepan over a high heat and let infuse for a few minutes until the palm sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside until duck has cooked.
3. For coconut jelly, in a small saucepan, bring 100ml coconut juice to a simmer. Squeeze excess water from the gelatin, add to coconut juice and melt, stirring until completely dissolved.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining coconut juice, pour into a shallow tray and transfer to the fridge to set.
5. For the Asian salad, peel and finely slice the green mango, de-seed the chillies and finely slice, pick herbs and toss ingredients together with the juice of the lime.
6. To assemble, glaze duck breasts with the duck sauce and finely slice. Place on a serving plate with a bunch of the Asian salad on the side and a few small neatly scooped teaspoons of the coconut jelly.