PREPARATION TIME 20 MINUTES
COOKING TIME 2 HOURS
• 15 ml olive oil
• 1 kg beef chuck steak
• 400 g mushrooms, halved
• 1 red pepper, deseeded, cut into 1.5cm pieces
• 800 g can diced tomatoes
• 185 ml water
• 70 g tomato paste
• 500 g shelf-fresh potato gnocchi
• 2 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
• 30 grams chopped fresh parsley
• 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
• Sour cream, to serve
• Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a large stockpot.
• Add the mushroom to the frying pan. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to the stockpot.
• Add the red pepper to the frying pan and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the capsicum softens slightly. Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
• Place the beef mixture over medium heat. Add the tomato and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
• Stir in the capsicum and tomato paste and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
• Use tongs to transfer the beef to a chopping board and shred finely. Remove and discard any excess fat.
• Return the beef to the stockpot and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
• Cook gnocchi following packet directions or until tender. Drain and add the gnocchi and shallots to the hotpot, and stir to combine. Combine the parsley and lemon rind in a bowl.
• Top the hotpot with the sour cream and parsley mixture and serve.